Tuesday, June 29, 2010

"Christmas Tree" Bush

That's not it's real name...but it's what I have affectionately named it.
I just read that it only blooms in the summer months in the northern hemisphere...
it is native to the southern hemisphere...
however, the University of Hawaii horticulturalists are attempting to develop a
December blooming for the floral Christmas decoration business.
So I'm not the only one who thinks this is a "Hawaiian Christmas Tree"...only in June!
In the floral world...it is a "scarlet heliconia"...also known as a "hanging lobster claw".
It seems like overnight the flower appears...with it's brilliant red and yellow color...
and the edges painted with a hint of green.
Then, magically, each day the petals start to open up...

And then...magically...it looks like a Christmas tree!
It's amazing!
All things [truly do] denote there is a God

2 comments:

Em said...

amazing!!!

ok, the fact that your post time says 2am is exhausting, go to sleep! or think of me b/c i'm prob up with max;-)

Carol (Mehr) Simpson said...

I don't know why the post says 2am. I didn't post it then. I posted it in the morning around 8am. I guess I better check my settings.