Monday, October 13, 2008

I made it!










Oh, dear, hard to figure out what it's saying!








Hi everyone!

My luggage and I made it here...that's a good day of travel! The flight was full, but I had an aisle seat, so no complaints. It took us 11 hours. We landed around 5:00pm local time. I'm 9 hours ahead of Utah. It took quite a while for my luggage to come up...mine was last, of course. After an hour of waiting I started to worry a little, but it finally showed up. It took our group of 30 another hour to clear customs. By the time we boarded our bus, the sun was setting, so we didn't get to see much on our drive into downtown Amman.

When we arrived at our hotel, there was a wedding in progress, which was great to watch. We had some dinner and then it was straight to bed for a 5am wakeup call.

After breakfast, we boarded our bus at 6:30am to go "up" to Jerusalem. It was only a 45 min. drive to the Israeli Border. We past by many biblical points: lands where the Moabites dwelt, Mt. Nebo (where Moses could climb and see Jericho and the promised land), and we got a feel for the Judean wilderness (where John the Baptist is likely to have grown up). It is a barren land! Northern Utah is an Oasis compared to these biblical lands!

Once we reached the Israeli border, it took us 2 hours to clear customs and cross the border into Jericho. Everything is hard to do here and requires lots of patience (including getting on the internet!). We haven't had the internet in our rooms, only in the hotel lobbies, and finding an outlet is the next challenge. I'm very spoiled at home!

Our first full day was exciting and exhausting. Exciting because everywhere you turn and look, you're reminded of a parable of Christ's ministry. Exhausting because there's so much to take in, and I was still under the influence of jet-lag. I didn't want to miss anything! We were walking on sacred grounds at every moment, visiting the Garden of Gethsemanae and the Garden Tomb. In each place we would have a small devotional. Scot and Maurine Proctor have been our spiritual guides...reading scriptures, telling stories, singing hymns, and sharing testimonies. Fortunately, in both areas, we were able to find a small sanctuary area for our group to be alone and experience the sacredness of the moment.

It was an amazing day! More to come tomorrow.

5 comments:

Em said...

mom!!! that is so incredible:-) it sounds like you are having a blast. what a fun trip! so glad you went. we can't wait to read more soon:-)

The Gist Family said...

Hi friend Carol!

I am in awe and amazement that you are actually having the experience of walking where the Savior walked. I feel blessed just reading and thinking about them! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences!

~Heather

Cherie said...

Wow! We woke up to a snow storm and you're there in 90 degree weather! Wish I could be there taking all this in with you. But, somebody's got to keep entertaining the old folks. Sure miss hearing you in the altos singing "spent my dough." I'll be checking your progress.

Love, Cherie

Bryan said...

Well, well, well... if it isn't my bona fide gypsy aunt! That is so cool that you are over there in Jerusalem. I have been wondering why I can't get a hold of you! Duh! I sure hope you'll be back in time for the big (s)election. Oh, yeah, I nearly forgot...We are going to be sealed in the Salt Lake Temple on Saturday, November 8th @ 4pm. It would be swell if you could be there. Call me when you get home Travel safely!

With love,
Bryan

School On Earth said...

My VT is in the Holy Land! Wow...I better have a good lesson next time...:) J/K you are an amazing VT and I am so blessed to have you. Glad you made it, thanks for sharing! Love much-Steph